OptiMate ™6 Battery Charger
The new OptiMate 6 ampmatic TM is the world’s most advanced and versatile battery
charger, maintainer and tester. All in one unit, in a stylish, robust, weatherproof
enclosure, easily wall-mountable.
The ampmatic TM microprocessor automatically diagnoses your battery’s condition and
sets the optimal charge current and program. An enhanced version of the acclaimed
OptiMateTM multi-stage desulphation program will even automatically give many deepdischarged
and otherwise “dead” batteries a new lease of life. When the charge is
complete, the eco power-saving mode ensures ultra low power consumption while
maintaining your battery, optimally charged, always cool and safe, month after month,
prolonging its life by up to 400% !
How it works
1. Initialisation: OptiMate 6 will only activate if the battery voltage measures at least 1,8V.
2. Programming: the ampmaticTM processor checks the battery’s condition to determine the appropriate charge program.
3. Desulphation and recovery: if necessary, 2 or 3 stages of high voltage and oscillatory pulsing are applied to recover
neglected, flat batteries (removed from the vehicle * ) from sulphation to a chargeable state.
* The voltage is limited to 16V if the microprocessor detects the battery may be connected to vehicle circuitry.
4. Bulk charge: the ampmaticTM processor actively adjusts charge current to match battery characteristics, achieving a
complete charge in the shortest time.
5. Short-circuited / dead cell check: Charge acceptance is continuously monitored to detect internal damage
and prevent unnecessary charging of a battery that cannot be recovered.
6. Absorption and equalisation: for 10 minutes the current is delivered in pulses with voltage controlled between 13,7
and 14,3V, aiding cell voltage equalisation and improving the battery’s overall power delivery.
7. Charge verification: the voltage is limited at 13,6V while the ampmaticTM processor monitors the current absorbed
by the battery. If this reveals a less than optimal charge, the program reverts to absorption for a further 10 minutes.
8. Voltage retention test: is conducted for 30 minutes during which no charge current is delivered, with 5 possible
test results indicating the battery’s general state of health. A green (voltage > 12,7V) result extends the test up to 12
hours, to check for excessive self discharge (even a partly damaged battery may initially retain sufficient power, but
lose power faster than normal there-after) or higher than expected power loss through the vehicle’s electrical system.
9. Charge maintenance: The MAINTENANCE CHARGE CYCLE consists of 30 minute float charge periods at a voltage
of 13,6V followed by and alternating with a 30 minute ‘rest’ (no charge current) periods.
The voltage retention test and maintenance charge cycle will repeat 24 hours after the start of the very first
test and continue to repeat for as long as the charger remains connected.
The alternating charge and ‘rest’ maintenance program provides the recommend maintenance voltage for AGM /
GEL batteries whilst reducing the average voltage as required by STD filler cap batteries, making it ideal for indefinite
and 100% safe long term maintenance charging of any type of 12V lead-acid battery.
Technical Specifi cations
Recommended for AGM/MF, STD, GEL
and spiral cell batteries
up to 240Ah
Programme control ampmaticTM microprocessor
Input current max. 0,55A @ 230V
Typical annual energy cost < €1 (continuous maintenance)
Reverse drain current less than 0,001A
Output current (bulk charge) 0,4A – 5,0A
Automatic desulphation multistage (high voltage, turbo and pulsed mode)
Charge time limit 48 hours (maintenance time: unlimited)
Maintain / test cycles 30 min/30 min (alternating hourly)
Charge retention test Range: 12,2 – 12,7V. GOOD (green) = battery voltage > 12,7V
Size 199 x 71 x 61mm
Enclosure classification IP54
Mounting easy direct wall mounting
Input cable length 2m
Output cable length 2m
Included Accessories SAE-71 fused eyelet set, weather protected
SAE-74 clamps set for bench charging
Operation temperature range -40°C / +40°C
Warranty 3 years
copyright © 2011 Tecmate International – TM180-PL1-111028_EN